Subject: Re: [boost] [git] Mercurial?
From: David Bergman (David.Bergman_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-20 21:31:38

Technical? Well, both systems do track revisions...

This sounds like a "Turing Completeness" argument held by a Pascal programmer when hearing about that "cool" language called C a few decades ago.

Ask people who have extensively used both, and they will tell you. C is better. Period. Git is better.

There exists a simple litmus test for these kinds of comparisons: if a developer has used X and Y extensively and is to embark on a new venture, with no legacy or political ties enforcing one or the other; which one would he use? I am pretty certain that for X and Y being Git and SVN, the answer would dominantly be Git.

And, I am not a "cool programmer," unless you consider having developed code for 30+ years in 20 languages, commercially, cool.

/David