Subject: Re: [boost] Slow Bugs Tracker
From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-03-23 06:07:50

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Olaf van der Spek <ml_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Hi Beman,
>
> Trac (performance) isn't good, we'd like to replace it with Redmine.
> Is the steering committe ok with this?

The steering committee would need a short proposal document that lays
out the motivation for a change, the pros and cons of Redmine vs Trac,
and how the transition would be accomplished. Plus a few links to
relevant info. That will give the SC something specific to vote on.

Personally, Redmine seems a good choice, but I've a couple of concerns:

IIUC, performance is a major motivation. A quick try with google found
many assertions that Redmine was faster than Trac, but no actual
performance measurements. Has performance actually been measured?

I also came across a case where someone moved from Trac to Redmine,
then moved back again a year later because they weren't familiar
enough with Ruby on Rails, and that caused them admin problems. Is
that also a likely problem for Boost?

--Beman