Subject: Re: [boost] [Review Request] Multiprecision Arithmetic Library
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-01 14:28:57

Le 01/04/12 17:55, John Maddock a écrit :
> Folks,
>
> I'd like to ask for a formal review of the Multiprecision Arithmetic
> Library, currently in the sandbox.
>
> Features:
>
> * Expression template enabled front end.
> * Support for Integer, Rational and Floating Point types.

Hi John,

very good work.
> Supported Integer backends:
>
> * GMP.
> * Libtommath.
> * cpp_int.
>
> cpp_int is an all C++ Boost licensed backend, supports both arbitrary
> precision types (with Allocator support), and signed and unsigned
> fixed precision types (with no memory allocation).

I'm wondering if the following compiles and what is the type of c

mp_uint128_t a;
mp_uint256_t b;
auto c = a + b;

 From the documentation I have the impression that we can not mix back-ends.

It seems to me that fixed precision and allocation are orthogonal
features. Why the fixed precision types can not use an allocator?

> There's nothing in principal to prevent extension to complex numbers
> and interval arithmetic types (plus any other number types I've
> forgotten!), but I've run out of energy for now ;-)
I'm working on a fixed_point library (see the sandbox code, sorry, but
there is no doc yet but
http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3352.html is
quite close ).
I would like to see if your front-end could also improve the
performances in this case. I will try to adapt it to the back-end
constraints soon.

> And of course, I'm looking for a review manager ;-)

Good luck,
Vicente