Subject: Re: [boost] Slow Bugs Tracker
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-08 22:49:22

on Sun Apr 08 2012, "Robert Ramey" <ramey-AT-rrsd.com> wrote:

> Dave Abrahams wrote:
>> on Sun Apr 08 2012, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj-AT-gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> AMDG

>>> I can't speak for anyone else, but
>>> throwing something in and hoping it
>>> helps is most certainly not okay with me.
>>
>> What does "throwing something in" mean?
>>
>> What better way is there to find out if performance is better than to
>> migrate the data and exercise the site? If you have other
>> suggestions, please make them.
>
> Hmm - what does "The only way to know
> Redmine will perform in practice for Boost is to try it." mean?

It means... to try it.

> It sounded like what was being proposed was not a test but
> rather just moving to something else "ASAP" I doubt anyone
> would object to some real test. But that's not so easy.

Really, it's pretty easy.

> I'm guessing that the performance is subtect to the size of the
> database and the configuration. So to it's hard to make a real test
> without migrating the whole trac history

Exactly. And that's easy.

> to the "other" system - whatever that might be. The proposal sounded
> like "let's just do it" which is what I believe raised concerns.

Obviously, let's just set it up and poke at it until you're satisfied.

> Is it possible that the Trac is slow because of the hardware
> configuration it's being run on? Do we have any control over that?
> Note that Source Forge offers to run Trac systems for any
> library. I wonder what the performance would be if it were
> run there?
>
> Finally, maybe it's time to give up on the idea of a monolithic
> Trac system. Seems to me that letting each library have it's
> own Trac system would be a small first step in the direction
> of modularization as well as solving the performance issue.
> But then, it wouldn't even be a requirement that each library
> use the same Trac system. And it would be easy to test/experiment
> since any authors who are fed up with the current system
> could just migrate out to the one they prefer. So if some idea
> turns out to be a bad one, the damage will be limited to one
> library to be fixed up by the person who made the change.
>
> As far as I can see, the only thing lost by this idea would
> be the ability to easily re-assign tickets. This would be
> inconvenient, but seems a small price to pay. BTW
> I don't know this but I'm wonder if ASIO and Spirit
> don't already have their own systems for tracking bugs
> and enhancements.

The thing that's lost by this idea is any sense of being able to achieve
a substantial speedup ASAP without lots of work, experimentation, etc.
There's a script to convert Trac to Redmine. If it works and Redmine is
fast enough, we're done solving the speedup problem. If not, consider
alternatives.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing