Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.ntree_container (bi_tree, quad_tree, oct_tree, etc ptr containers) Is there any interest in this?
From: Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. (jeffrey.hellrung_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-04-27 03:56:55

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Sylvain Bougerel <
sylvain.bougerel.devel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 2012 6:14 AM, "Dan Walters" <dan683@
> <dan683_at_[hidden]>gmail.com<dan683_at_[hidden]>>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am proposing adding spacial containers for efficiently storing and
> > accessing data of a spacial nature in fixed size trees.
> >

> Hi all,
>
> This thread is long over, but I've been meaning to write something on it
> for so long.
>
> I wrote a kd-tree library for generic purpose. It may not sound like much,
> but this library has (i believe) truly unique features : first of all,
> erasing really works in amortized time (on most libraries out there it does
> not -- and that's when they even propose erasing), secondly the kd-tree is
> the only one i know that is capable of self-balancing.
>
> These 2 features combined with the fact that the library is very template
> based, and support any number of dimensions (that can even be determined at
> runtime) makes it really a general purpose library.
>
> It as nearest neighbor iterators, region (or bisection) iterators, and a
> not so common but useful operation: a mapping iterator which maps all n
> dimensions into 1 effectively making the iterator behave as a usual
> multiset iterator, on 1 particular chosen dimension.
>
> My future goal is to one day feel satisfied enough by the maturity of the
> library to submit the library to Boost for integration. Sadly i haven't
> reached that stage yet.
>
> For those who are interested to try it out, you can pull the origin/master
> branch from the library (the release package is stable but the code is a
> bit old now) . It had burgeoning (and therefore incomplete) documentation
> with some obvious mistakes.
>
> http://spatial.sourceforge.net/
>
> And I'm still regularly modifying the interface so it is far from being
> mature. But one day... It will.

I think this could be really exciting to have in Boost. Unfortunately, I
don't think I can offer much feedback at the moment, but definitely keep
(at least) me posted on noteworthy developments. I'm particularly
interested in what your interface will look like.

- Jeff