Subject: Re: [boost] [1.50.0] Beta 1 release candidates available for testing
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-02 16:39:13

[Daniel James]
> When template aliases become available, to use them you'll need to
> replace 'rebind_alloc' which will break any code which uses the
> 'other' member. If you used a different name then you could leave that
> in alongside the template alias so that existing code would continue
> to work.

True - although I prefer to have a clean break for conformance. (We've got a bit of "retained" code for back-compat that I'd like to nuke someday; the exception being tr1 using-declarations since those are not really doing any harm and their usage was very widespread.)

> It'd also have been a more useful error message, if it just
> said that 'rebind_alloc' isn't available, I'd have instantly known
> what the issue was, instead there was an odd error about 'value_type'.

That's a good point. I'm sorry I didn't think of it earlier.

(Unfortunately it is far too late for me to change anything for VC11 RTM that doesn't involve fixing a kitten-liquefying bug.)

STL