Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in a "breadth first" algorithm?
From: Gary Powell (gwpowell_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-19 11:29:55

Maybe a an obvious question, but is this speedup relative to the positional
insertion overload of std::map?

> iterator insert ( iterator position, const value_type& x );
>
> Regards,
>
> Rutger
>
> Hits self on head... no. It was relative to map::operator[]()

Just testing operator[] vs iterator insert(...) is about 68% faster to use
insert.
breadthfirst ordering vs insert() is about 48% using insert.

I think I didn't use insert because of folklore that it didn't help, and
clearly that was wrong and should have been tested.

Well all the time spent was not totally lost as I figured out how to use
meta programming to turn on and off member functions in a templated
class... use inheritence. But that's another story.

  Thanks,
  -Gary-

--
powellg_at_[hidden]