Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Emil Dotchevski (emildotchevski_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-22 19:03:31

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 12:55 PM, Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Fabio Fracassi wrote:
> > On 6/22/12 8:58 AM, Robert Ramey wrote:
> >
> >> The problem was the gratuitious inclusion of a new
> >> dependency. The extent/nature of any problem it created or didn't
> >> create is not relevant here.
> >
> > Yes it is, because in reality boost exception solves problems for the
> > users of any library that uses it. When using boost exception I can
> > safely let exceptions escape threads and have them rethrown in the
> > starting thread, for instance.
>
> well, not every application uses threads. Really, I don't think anyone
> can say "solves problems for ANY library which uses it." without
> knowing what the application is.

This works the other way around too. A library developer, without knowing
what the application is, shouldn't be preventing the user from using Boost
Exception with the exceptions emitted by the library.

When a library calls boost::throw_exception, this potentially solves
problems for the USERS of the library (depending on the architecture of the
application), even if the library itself doesn't benefit.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.