Subject: Re: [boost] Boost and exceptions
From: Roger Martin (roger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-25 17:22:11

On 06/25/2012 02:50 PM, Robert Ramey wrote:
> With boost.exception
>
> throw X
> catch X, add info, rethrow X
> catch X
> I didn't really think about this, but now you mention it I'm
> convinced that my interface is far superior.

For an App using an API this scenario is the most pleasant. It allows
the two ways App developers need

throw X
catch X
or the one above.

I'm unfocused on how an exception/class's members/properties fill in but
at the final catch want it to be complete with exception message and the
what-caused-it-from-where-info available. (With only one exception
framework to learn and maintain).

If another library/API uses boost the App needs the API's to do the
filling in where the info is available and the App's code very tight,
readable and maintainable. And threads are becoming more involved as
hardware starts to go to more and more cpu's. Even areas that weren't
often paralleled before will be. (Just can't sit there with 7 or more
idle processors nowadays)
> I guess this last catch X uses the multiple inheritace of the boost
> exception
> object to permit catch X rather than catch boost::exception which
> syntatically looks clean. But now you've got an interface - catch X
> which actually is an X++.

It is actually
throw X--
catch X--, add info, rethrow X
catch X

My preference is to not know anything about X-- or learn about and write
for Y, Z or W, U and V layers, adders to or representatives of X--.
Just want X.