Subject: Re: [boost] [pool] Objects of varying sizes
From: Robert Dailey (rcdailey.lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-26 12:19:24

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 6:48 PM, Klaim - Joël Lamotte <mjklaim_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> don't look at the object_pool, look at pool. It provide only allocation and
> destruction methods, given a size at runtime.
> That way you can wrap it with a template function that give the size of the
> object you want to create to the pool for it to allocate memory for you.

Thanks for the response. I am reviewing the boost.pool reference here:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_49_0/libs/pool/doc/html/boost/pool.html

Based on that, I do not see a way to allocate blocks of varying sizes. The
documentation makes it sound like I have to set size_type to the largest
object that will be allocated, which I have no reasonable way of knowing (I
have hundreds of objects in my inheritance hierarchy, each with varying
size, and no way to calculate the largest in a maintainable way).

The malloc() method does not take any parameters.

Am I misunderstanding you? Could you please point me in the right
direction? Thanks again for your help.