Subject: Re: [boost] program options (consider using BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION)
From: Roger Martin (roger_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-27 17:12:56

On 06/27/2012 04:51 PM, Emil Dotchevski wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 4:46 AM, Leo Goodstadt<leo.goodstadt_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
>> However, the majority of exceptions in program_options are there to
>> indicate a problem in the construction of the command line by the
>> *end-user* (not the programmer).
>> In other words, the program *is* working exactly as designed.
>
> Unless it's buggy.
>
> The
>> programmer has no interest in the provenance of these exceptions
>> *except* that they can be used to inform the end-user how they should
>> retype the command line and try again.
>>
> The use case is this:
>
> int main( int argc, char const * argv[] )
> {
> try
> {
> do_work(parse_command_line(argc,argv));
> }
> catch( X& )
> {
> }
> catch( Y& )
> {
> }
> catch(...)
> {
> std::cerr<< boost::current_exception_diagnostic_information();
> abort();
> }
> }
>
> The catch(...) shouldn't be reached. The BOOST_THROW_EXCEPTION information
> could help if it is (of course the message is intended for the programmer,
> not the end user.)
Hi, when I first asked about this I wasn't comprehending the nature of
it being exceptions for the user but that makes complete sense. So from
your advice I'm planning to tee off the information to a DEBUG level
logger for the developer (untested):
     catch( boost::program_options::unknown_option & e )
     {
         std::cout << "Command line incorrect: unknown option
"<<e.get_option_name();
         std::cout.flush();
         std::cout << "\n" << desc << "\n";
         LOG4CPLUS_DEBUG(logger, boost::diagnostic_information(e));
      }

This way a user sees the friendlier message yet if there is some
sleuthing to do, a developer or remote user may configure the runtime
log level and get the more detailed information that way