Subject: Re: [boost] [1.51][Release] Short release cycle
From: Stewart, Robert (Robert.Stewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-29 06:56:31

Tim Blechmann wrote:

> >> what's the policy for c++11-only libraries?
> >
> > I don't know. I guess the main issue is if it will be
> > adequately supported by our testers.
>
> me neither ... i guess no one knows, because i've asked this
> question before without getting any reply.

Unfortunately, cannot admit a library -- into a release -- that isn't being tested, so you need C++11 testers. However, that doesn't prevent you from putting it into trunk.

> >> i could make boost.lockfree depend on std::atomic to avoid
> >> that it will have to wait for boost.atomic forever.

That's a reasonable tack.

> > It isn't in trunk yet, so I'm not sure if you'll have enough
> > time for 1.51. The deadline is very tight. You'll really
> > have to get in and the tests running straight away, and you
> > still might not have enough time unless it goes very
> > smoothly (the testers aren't that frequent, I'm afraid).

Note that only means you may not get it into 1.51; it doesn't preclude putting it in trunk.

> well, i must admit, i'm kind of upset by the situation:
>
> * boost.atomic seems to be dead, at least helge does not
> respond anymore and the library will probably be obsolete,
> because once it is merged, all compilers will support
> std::atomic

That's unfortunate. There will be many using C++03 for years yet.

> * there is no policy about c++11 libraries, so i cannot merge
> boost.lockfree into trunk by cutting the boost.atomic
> dependency

Don't take this as policy, but I don't see any problem with adding a C++11-only library if your code is conditionally compiled to avoid problems with C++03 compilers (which could mean no code for those compilers). Trying to do so may reveal issues with config, but that will be helpful.

> * merging boost.lockfree now is too late, for the next
> release, as it is not in trunk because of the reasons
> mentioned above. well, it is not like it could introduce any
> regressions ....

If you put it in trunk, C++11 testers are spun up, and tests go well, you might make 1.51. If there's insufficient time, try again for 1.52. Either way, keep seeking C++11 testers!

_____
Rob Stewart robert.stewart_at_[hidden]
Software Engineer using std::disclaimer;
Dev Tools & Components