Subject: Re: [boost] [1.51][Release] Short release cycle
From: Sergey Cheban (s.cheban_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-06-29 13:04:19

On 29.06.2012 18:26, Rhys Ulerich wrote:

>> I think that Boots should support not the "popular" compilers but the modern
>> ones. The users of the old compilers may use the old versions of Boost.
>> The existence of old and unpopular compilers should not prevent the Boost
>> from using the modern language features. Note that these compilers will
>> never disappear.
> I'd thought the Boost community had invested a ton of effort
> specifically so one could write modern code for both old and new
> compilers.
So, should we forbid the exceptions usage in the Boost because there are
some old compilers that do not support them?

The future of the boost::atomic is not clear, the maintainer is
unresponsive. So, we have only two options:
1. Use std::atomic and make boost.lockfree available for the modern
compilers.
2. Don't add the boost.lockfree.

I think that the first option is better. And it doesn't prevent us from
switching to the boost::atomic.

--
Sergey Cheban