Subject: Re: [boost] [type_erasure] Review ends today July 27, 2012
From: Paul A. Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-01 09:51:16

I'd like to second this suggestion, having had an deeply look at the docs (and playing with the
code).
Examples are *really, really, really* useful. More examples, well commented, like the sequence
printers would be valuable.
I'd like a long kitchen-sink example that guides you up gently.

I found the learning curve to be near vertical (needing a lots of 'Friends' as the rock climbers
say).

The quality of the docs is excellent, but it needs to take users much more by the hand and go
slowly, including lots of example en route. To be widely used, the docs need to be usable by the
'great unwashed'. Feedback from novices may be the best guide to where the 'overhangs' lie.

I noted that the name boost::type_erasure::any shares with boost::any (deliberately) : this creates
a namespace-confusion pit into which user are bound to fall. A warning would be useful? Is prior
knowledge of Boost.Any required or a hindrance?

Wikipedia has a definition of type_erasure that might be referenced?

HTH

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,