Subject: Re: [boost] [1.51, heap] permission to merge r80039
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-15 18:28:15

>>> request for release manager:
>>>
>>> i'd like to merge r80039 to release, as it fixes bug #7233. ok or too late?
>>
>> The release branch is still open for bug (and doc) fixes.
>> Today is the last day, though.
>
> Marshall, this change was made on trunk 9 hours ago. That's not nearly
> enough time for tests to cycle.
>
> I'm not overruling you. Your decision stands. But in the future, we (the
> release managers) really need to stick to the script. Changes must be
> tested on trunk before they can be merged to release.
>
> And a similar heads-up to all boost developers: code changes this late
> in the game will not make the cut if they aren't tested.

this specific bug has been reported this morning and the fix is rather
trivial. not merging the fix means that there is a known bug in the
release, which is unfortunate as well. would be less of a problem, if
we'd have regular (monthly?) bugfix releases, but that won't work well
with the current two-branch branching model.

tim