Subject: Re: [boost] [system] Viral C++11 change would break dependent libraries:-(
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-28 12:18:57

On 28/08/2012 17:44, Daniel Pfeifer wrote:
> 2012/8/28 Mathias Gaunard <mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden]>:
>> On 27/08/2012 19:33, Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>>> I've held off committing the Boost.System changes to trunk until we've
>>> had a chance to discuss how to approach this potential break to an
>>> unknown number of Boost and user libraries.
>>

>> Just compile all of Boost tests and fix things that break?
>
> Maybe the *AND USER LIBRARIES* should have been better highlighted.

Simply document it.

There should be relatively few users of Boost.System out of Boost itself
that extend the provided types and that need to work in C++11.

Small problems like these are inherent to upgrading code for C++11
compatibility. Making Boost.System behave more like its counterpart of
C++11 is more important (especially since the regression only affects
C++11...)