Subject: Re: [boost] [odeint] support for Sundials?
From: Karsten Ahnert (karsten.ahnert_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-08-29 15:38:04

On 08/29/2012 03:21 PM, Daniel Herring wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Jul 2012, Mario Mulansky wrote:
>
>> after getting some good amount of positive feedback on our talk at
>> boostcon we are now asking for a formal review process of the odeint
>> library, currently hosted on github:
>> https://github.com/headmyshoulder/odeint-v2
>
> I found your page comparing performance with other Runge-Kutta
> implementations.
>
> http://headmyshoulder.github.com/odeint-v2/performance.html
>
> The documentation indicates you have support for various types of stepper.
>
> http://headmyshoulder.github.com/odeint-v2/doc/boost_numeric_odeint/odeint_in_detail/steppers.html
>

> Have you considered whether the odeint API could act as an interface to
> CVODE or CVODES in Sundials?

Good question. We have not checked this. But I don't see any point why
one can not implement a odeint-compatible stepper wrapping CVODE or
CVODES. Of course, there might be some subtle pitfalls with these
packages which make the wrapper very complicated or inefficient. It is
an interesting (and open) question.

> https://computation.llnl.gov/casc/sundials/main.html
>
> If that works, then it validates the odeint API. If there are gaps or
> inefficiencies, then they may indicate improvements for odeint.
>
> Thanks,
> Daniel

Dr. Karsten Ahnert
Ambrosys GmbH - Gesellschaft für Management komplexer Systeme
Geschwister-Scholl-Str. 63a
D-14471 Potsdam
Tel: +4917682001688
Fax: +493319791300
Ambrosys GmbH - Gesellschaft für Management komplexer Systems
Gesellschaft mit beschränkter Haftung
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Geschwister-Scholl-Str. 63a, 14471 Potsdam
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Potsdam, HRB 21228 P
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Karsten Ahnert, Dr. Markus Abel