Subject: Re: [boost] [contract] static_assert in contracts or not?
From: Lorenzo Caminiti (lorcaminiti_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-01 02:41:43

On Aug 31, 2012 5:42 AM, "Andrzej Krzemienski" <akrzemi1_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> [...]
> precondtions: function "expects" and caller "ensures". It is difficult to
> imagine that a function could "ensure" anything itself at compile-time
> (that you couldn't check yourself). Invariants, as contract, are somewhat
> closer to pstconditions.
>
> But for those "static preconditions" there exist better tools. For
instance
> "static if" proposed for C++17:
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2012/n3329.pdf
> In section 2.4 it describes sort of "small concepts". Using this proposal,
> your example could be rewritten to:
>
> template< typename To, typename From >
> To* memcopy ( To* to, From* from )
> if (sizeof(To) >= sizeof(From) && is_convertible<From, To>::value)
> precondition{
> to != nullptr;
> from != nullptr
> }
>
> > {
> > // ...
> > }
>
> This works somewhat different though. It makes the function not even
> defined for incompatible types (error message would be "no matching
> function found"). The assertion variant does recognize that you intended
> call our function and tells you exactly why it was a bad idea.
>
> You can implement this behavior in C++03 with boost::enable_if, I guess.
>

> > Or would you just use static_assert in the body, option B:
> >
> > template< typename To, typename From >
> > To* memcopy ( To* to, From* from )
> > precondition{
> > to; // pointer not null
> > from; // pointer not null
> > }
> > {
> > static_assert(sizeof(To) >= sizeof(From), "destination too
small");
> > static_assert(boost::is_convertible<From, To>::value,
> > "incompatible types");
> > // ...
> > }
> >
> > I don't like this because the assertions are about the specifications
> > (they assert a requirement of the interface) so they should go in the
> > declaration and not in the implementation.
> >

> I agree that this is worse.
>

> > Or maybe the assertions should be represented as concept requirements
> > on To and From, option C:
> >
> > template< typename To, typename From >
> > requires SizeofGreaterEqual<To, From>, Convertible<From, To>
> > To* memcopy ( To* to, From* from )
> > precondition{
> > to; // pointer not null
> > from; // pointer not null
> > }
> > {
> > // ...
> > }
> >
> > (Only we don't have concepts...)
> >

> But we have enable_if which is sufficient. It has an ugly syntax, but I
> guess your framework could make it simpler. But then, even with full
> concepts in C++ assertions have an advantage: they give you a cleaner

Based on your and Vicente's input, I'll remove static_assert from contracts
(pre, post, inv, etc).

Is any predicate programmable with static_assert also programmable with
Boost.ConceptCheck? I guess so if the Boost.ConceptCheck concept can do the
static assertion using Boost.MPL or Boost.StaticAssert. If that it true
then no need for me to provide static_assert at all, just use
Boost.ConceptCheck. Otherwise, I'll allow static_assert together with
Boost.ConceptCheck concepts in the requires clausle. How does that sound?