Subject: Re: [boost] What Should we do About Boost.Test?
From: Jamie Allsop (ja11sop_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-18 06:09:00

On 17/09/12 17:49, Timo H. Geusch wrote:
> On 17.09.2012 07:40, Dave Abrahams wrote:
[snip]

>> - Boost.Test is officially deprecated in the next release
>> - Its documentation, such as it is, is removed from the release after
>> that
>> - Meanwhile, other tests in Boost that use this library are rewritten to
>> use a different mechanism
>
> As has been mentioned, is there any alternative in sight? And if there
> is, what is the migration path especially for people who might have a
> few thousand unit tests?
>
> There's also the question of infrastructure. Boost.Test has at least
> some support from some CI systems (for example, we're using Jenkins and
> thanks to an existing plugin, it can parse the XML output generated by
> Boost.Test. I would argue that a replacement probably either needs to
> support the same output format or at least an easy way to support this
> sort of post-processing.

We are the same - we've actually written some trac.bitten plugins to
elegantly handle Boost.Test output that gives us quite impressive
reports with full source linking for errors and test cases. Additionally
we have taken the time to add support to our scons framework so we can
have integrated handling of boost tests when building, giving pretty
printed output on the console, green bars, timing info etc. These are
all in the process of being open sourced but rely on some small patches
to Boost.Test that we need to push back first.

>> - The code is removed from Boost thereafter
>
> Unless there is a migration path that would make it easy to get off
> Boost.Test and onto another framework that would offer similar benefits
> (and integration with CI systems, etc etc), I'm not sure that this a
> good idea. Putting it into a deprecated section with a clear line drawn
> in the sand saying "no further development, if it breaks you're on your
> own" is probably a better approach.

+1