Subject: Re: [boost] Interest in a GPU computing library
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-09-18 20:39:17

On 9/18/2012 1:32 PM, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> On 09/18/2012 10:05 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:
>> On 9/18/2012 11:42 AM, Manjunath Kudlur wrote:
>>> The thing needed to make Proto more CUDA-friendly is the same
>>> thing that is needed to make it AMP-friendly, in case you are
>>> familiar with C++ AMP [1]. Basically, you have to intrusively
>>> annotate every Proto function with the "__host__ __device__"
>>> annotation (restrict(x86, amp) in the case of C++ AMP).
>>
>> *Every* function in Proto? Or the just ones that build Proto
>> expressions? Or evaluate them? Or some other subset?
>
> The ones to evaluate them. value, proto_base and child_c could be a
> usable subset.

That's simple enough. But since I'm not a CUDA/AMP guy, I can't do this
on my own. I would need someone knowledgeable to submit a patch. <nudge>

> As a side node, it also allows use to have shorter symbol names,
> which was a bit of a problem with Proto.

Any expression template library is going to generate huge symbol names.
I don't think there's any way around that, do you?

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing