Subject: Re: [boost] [pool2] Requests for comment
From: Ion Gaztañaga (igaztanaga_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-18 05:57:07

El 17/10/2012 4:39, Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. escribió:

> Ah, I didn't know there were these additional optimizations behind the
> scenes :)

dlmalloc has recently improved "bulk" (called "burst" in my paper)
operations and those ideas can be used to improve adaptive pools,
specially deallocation times (fast coalescing adjacent buffers before
entering the complex deallocating code).

Dlmalloc also implements its own spinlocks for some platforms, whereas
my code uses critical section or pthread mutexes. I need to investigate
if dlmalloc's internal spinlocks could be used in my pools. At least, to
get a fair comparison ;-)

Boost.Container's have also improved a bit in regards to extended
allocators so figures need to be updated.

When I realized that the new "plain" dlmalloc performed a bit faster
than my pools, I didn't want to fall behind ;-)

Ion