Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] deprecating Mutex::scoped_lock and Mutex::scoped_try_lock and boost::condition
From: Vicente J. Botet Escriba (vicente.botet_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-10-20 11:38:03

Le 20/10/12 14:42, Rob Stewart a écrit :
> On Oct 20, 2012, at 7:08 AM, "Vicente J. Botet Escriba" <vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> I would like to deprecate the following features in Boost.Thread:
> How long do you propose to keep the deprecated interfaces before removing them?
>
> Will you provide a manifest constant to remove them so users can vet their code before the interfaces are removed permanently?
I use to add a compiler flag that allows to disable/enable the inclusion
of deprecated feature so that the users can in the transition path
either disable the inclusion of the deprecated feature when it is there
by default (3 releases) or enable it when it would not be the default
(3 more releases) . All these will be of course documented.

>> * Mutex::scoped_lock and Mutex::scoped_try_lock so that we can make mutex types independent from locks.
>> The user should use instead unique_lock<Mutex> and the new public class try_unique_lock.
> I have no problem, in principle, but be sure the names are consistent with C++11 or any related proposals, if applicable.
As said in the preceding post, I'm not for maintaing this
try_unique_lock so if no body is against I could just deprecate it.

Best,
Vicente