Subject: Re: [boost] [datetime] IANA Time Zone Database
From: Jeff Garland (azswdude_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-08 10:07:35

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 7:53 AM, Maxim Yegorushkin <
maxim.yegorushkin_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Hi Boost,
>
> I have files with timestamps in various timezones. I would like to be able
> to convert these timestamps, no matter what timezone they are in (I know
> the names of the timezones) to UTC timestamps.
>
> I looked through datatime library documentation and found
> date_time_zonespec.csv database which doesn't seem to support the notion of
> different rules for the same timezone depending on the date. For example,
> Russia used to have summer time but not any more. Another method seems to
> be passing a timezone specification string manually, which requires the
> user to figure what it should be for a particular date.
>
> In other words, given a timestamp and its timezone, I would like to be
> able to convert that timestamp into a UTC timestamp using conversion rules
> in force at that particular date in the past. Ideally, this would use IANA
> Time Zone Database or something similar. Is there a facility in boost to do
> just that?

Hi Maxim -

That would require an extension to date-time to handle -- all the
interfaces are there, but the machinery to lookup in a database that has
historical entries would need to be developed. Unfortunately it's not a
function that's been requested much and there isn't really a plan to
develop it...sorry.

Jeff