Subject: Re: [boost] gcc 4.4.3 + boost optional 1.40 crash [same with boost 1.50/1.52]
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-11-23 10:53:13

On Fri, Nov 23, 2012 at 6:29 PM, Gaetano Mendola <mendola_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> As suggested by another user I tried with gcc 4.4.3 + boost 1.50 and it
> crash I have
> tried with boost 1.52 and it crash as well.
> At this point or is a boost bug (not yet resolved) or a gcc bug corrected by
> accident
> or not in the new release. GCC people do release fixes on old version then
> it's important
> to submit the bug as soon we know who is faulty here.

In my reply I pointed out that there is no way optional can
legitimately cause this crash because it's not used with your class.
The problem seems to be due to coincidence of several unknown factors
in the code, only one of them being a mere presence and use of
optional. Although it's not my position to say so, I do not think the
author of Boost.Optional is willing to work around compiler bugs that
are not directly caused by it.

My advice: use a newer compiler. If that's not an option, try to work
it around in your code. You've already presented several workarounds
you found.