Subject: Re: [boost] Changes to VS 2012 config
From: Sergey Cheban (s.cheban_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-01 11:08:11

01.12.2012 16:56, Andrey Semashev пишет:

>> CTP is a preview. The community (i.e., we) should test it and tell MS
>> about any bugs found and especially about bugs in the new features. But
>> I don't think that we should make workarounds or support the previews in
>> any other way.
>
> While I welcome C++11 adoption, I don't see Boost as a testbed for MSVC
> or any other particular implementation. Yes, in many ways Boost is on
> the bleeding edge of the language so it's tempting to test against it.
> But Boost is just a library and it has users. And actually MS is able
> to build and test Boost with their compiler themselves, be that an
> internal build or CTP or an official release.
I think it's a good idea for MS to test their compiler with boost
regression tests with workarounds turned off. Unfortunately, they are
not always able to do it by themselves. For example, implementing
decltype-based result_of has required some work from the boost::phoenix
developers.

> Boost is developed by volunteers and adding another platform to the
> list of supported platforms increases the burden.
I agree that CTPs should not be supported. But it would be good to
"view" them and do our part of work as soon as possible.

> However, I don't mind if someone volunteers to test Boost on CTP and
> report problems back to MS. This won't make CTP the supported platform
> and Boost development won't be affected. I just think it's MS's job to
> do the testing as long as they sell MSVC as a product.
I think it is useless to use the CTPs for those who are not planning to
report the bugs to the MS. So, only those who are playing these games
will be affected by the CTP-related changes in the Boost.

--
Best regards,
Sergey Cheban