Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Documentation for Git and Modular Boost conversion
From: Eric Niebler (eric_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-07 14:25:11

(Rearranging. Rene, I don't suppose you could bottom-post, could you?)

On 12/7/2012 10:40 AM, René Rivera wrote:

> On Dec 7, 2012, at 10:54 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> We are starting to pull together documentation for the Git and
>> Modular Boost conversion.
>>
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/WikiStart#GitandModularBoost
>>
>> Comments and corrections welcome!
>>
>> I'm particularly interested in unanswered questions you have after
>> reading these initial docs.
>
> There's no mention of supporting external developers/users that have
> subversion external links to the Boost subversion repo. How will
> people that have their internal development stored in subversion with
> references to Boost be supported? Will they be left out in the cold
> once svn.boost.org goes dark? Or will their be an equivalent
> subversion read only bridge they could use (after adjusting their
> references)?

Once the switch is made, subversion will be made read-only. It won't go
away, but development will take place in the modularized git repos.
Changes from git won't be pushed back into svn; that would become
increasingly difficult as the structure of the repos diverge. Anybody
who makes use of svn externals to track boost development will need to
update to git.

Is this scenario common enough that we should have a documented
migration path for such people?

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing