Subject: Re: [boost] [serialization] Proposal: make 'version' trait(andothers)enable_if-friendly
From: Gabriel Redner (gredner_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-07 18:20:34

>> Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. wrote:
> In any case, the fact that this technique is used in several other Boost
> libraries is a hint that there is no generally applicable workaround, and
> even case-specific workarounds (such as something like above) would almost
> surely be more onerous than just adding a defaulted Enable type template
> parameter to the trait for the sole purpose of enabling SFINAE to address
> this use case.

Jeff said better than I could. Focusing on finding a workaround for
my specific use-case is beside the point. The proposed change permits
the whole weight of metaprogramming to be brought to bear in a natural
and idiomatic way, without the need to hunt around in the language for
case-specific fixes.

-Gabe