Subject: Re: [boost] [Interprocess] Experimental Win32 Mutexes
From: Brink, Robert (GE Aviation, US) (robert.brink3_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-11 09:46:09

We have been running the experimental Win32 mutex branch for about a month. Functionally it is still working fine. Performance is good enough for us at this point. We are not seeing any memory corruption due to faulty mutexes or anything.

However, we are seeing some debug asserts pop up. I'm not 100% positive what causes it, but it seems that as we scale up our system we tend to get tripped up by the assert in boost\interprocess\sync\windows\mutex.hpp, Line 61. It appears that when we create the mutex, we are getting an "already exists" winapi error. Looking at the windows documentation this seems to be given if the mutex already exists, but the mutex is returned anyways. The commentary in the boost code indicates that it wants a mutex to be created and not opened, but I'm not sure why that is.

Like I said above, we are not seeing adverse behavior because of this. But it is very annoying to run in debug mode with the assert windows popping up. Sometimes that can be a significant number of pop-ups.

Any advice to offer?

Hopefully this usage report helps.

Rob Brink