Subject: Re: [boost] Flow-based programming library for Boost?
From: Julian Gonggrijp (j.gonggrijp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-15 15:18:21

Marcus Tomlinson wrote:

>> Probably not (regardless of the length of the parallel branches). Is
>> this something that DSPatch would guarantee, even when the branches
>> have different numbers of components? That would be interesting.
>
> Yes, DSPatch does this. This is what I refer to as branch synchronization on the feature list. It is that fact that DSPatch can guarantee this whilst maintaining high performance via parallel processing that makes it uniquely powerful I think.

That's fascinating, but I now realise that such a guarantee could also
be provided with something like the FastFlow library. Or rather, you
can't guarantee that the results from the same diverged datum will
/arrive/ at the same time, but you can construct the converging
component such that it will /take/ them at the same time. The end
result is the same.

This makes me a bit sceptical about the high performance part.
FastFlow can synchronise the converging point without requiring that
the components within the branches operate in lock-step. Surely that
allows for more fluid concurrency? Perhaps a little benchmark would be
good.

-Julian