Subject: Re: [boost] [Git] Regression testing modular Boost
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-17 13:25:15

on Sun Dec 16 2012, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:49 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Starting a new thread - this is far to important to bury in the long
>> documentation thread!
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 10:52 AM, Rene Rivera <grafikrobot_at_[hidden]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >What is the procedure that testers will follow?
>>
>> I've been assuming testers will follow the same general procedure. But
>> other than verifying that hand-invoked b2 runs tests as expected,
>> nothing else has been done that I'm aware of.
>>

> By that you mean invoking b2 on what project? Did you run anything before
> that to set up the tree? Did you run b2 in the boost-root/status directory?
> Or to simplify the question.. What precisely has been done already? As I
> don't want to duplicate effort.
>
>> > Is there documentation equivalent to <
>> > http://www.boost.org/development/running_regression_tests.html> for the
>> new
>> > setup?
>>
>> None yet. I've been assuming we will just update
>> www.boost.org/development/running_regression_tests.html
>>
>> > What changes to the current tools need to happen to the adjust to
>> > the new setup?
>>
>> As a first cut, branch the current tools and convert any code that
>> currently uses svn commands to use git commands.
>>

> Hm.. That's barely a step :-\ ..And there's no need to branch. The tools
> already support multiple transport methods so we can just add another.
> Which brings me to one of the transport methods regression testing
> currently supports.. Downloading the current trunk/release as a ZIP
> archive. I was hoping to use the github facility that exists for
> downloading ZIPs of the repos. But unfortunately I couldn't make it
> attached the contents of the indirect references to the library
> subrepos.

That's right, unfortunately. However, we can get the exact URLs of the
ZIP files from the GitHub API. I've recently done some scripting with
that,
e.g. https://github.com/ryppl/ryppl/blob/develop/scripts/github2bitbucket.py#L40

In fact, I think someone has coded up what's needed to make a monolithic
zip here:
https://github.com/quarnster/sublime_package_control/commit/9fe2fc2cad9bd2e7e1a38d7e5d4aaa02fb2b4aea

> Hence the complexity of supporting testing with ZIPs is now a
> magnitude larger as it means dealing with fetching more than a hundred
> individual repos :-(

>> But before any testing is done, it would be helpful if Boost.Build was
>> updated to handle the generation of boost-root/boost header file
>> links, rather than relying on the workaround cmake script.
>
> Well.. In an ideal world it would be possible to have a fully integrated
> "monolithic" repo that the testers can just use as that is the simplest and
> likely most repliable path. But, alas, this hope of mine was essentially
> dismissed during the DVCS/git discussions.

This isn't about DVCS but about whether we're going to have real
modularity.

>> Do you feel comfortable enough with git to handle the conversion?
>>

> I am familiar with DVCS concepts.. And intimately versed in VCS systems.
> But, no, I am not comfortable with git command specifics. And frankly.. I
> don't want to be.

Let's work together; I can help with that stuff if necessary.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training