Subject: Re: [boost] Losing history (Was: [git] Boost.Build location_
From: Dave Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2012-12-28 09:25:07

on Fri Dec 28 2012, Nathan Ridge <zeratul976-AT-hotmail.com> wrote:

>> On December 28, 2012 5:59:22 AM Ryo IGARASHI <rigarash_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> > Hi,

>> > entire history

>> > I don't, either. Please just 'git clone' pulls ENTIRE HISTORY.
>> > Less than 100GB of storage is not so huge in (almost) 2013.
>> > Even the low-end SSD can contain ~128GB.
>> >
>> > If the storage really matters, he can always use 'shallow repository',
>> > using 'git clone --depth N'.
>>
>> As Dave mentioned, the entire history is ~233MiB. Multiply that by the
>> number of libraries in Boost and you easily reach multi-GiB checkouts
>> when using the monolithic Boost (as we all are supposed to be for the
>> moment). I think this is unacceptable either, even though I'm not a
>> maintainer. If the history is preserved, it should also be split
>> between the library repositories.
>
> Is there no way to have each library share the same copy of the
> monolithic history? Then the new monolithic repo should be about the
> same size as the current one.

There is a way, but it comes with caveats. This, like shallow cloning,
is something that could be done entirely under script control but I
wouldn't want to have people use it casually. For more detail, see
http://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/git/2007/6/5/248246

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing                  Software Development        Training