Subject: Re: [boost] [interprocess] (OS X) waiting on condition variable = CPU 100% + fans running loud
From: Tim Blechmann (tim_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-08 11:15:34

>> I read from Boost.Atomic documentation that supported platforms are:
>> >
>> > - gcc 4.x: i386, x86_64, ppc32, ppc64, armv5, armv6, alpha
>> >
>> > - Visual Studio Express 2008/Windows XP, i386
>> >
>> > That seems a bit limited unless under "GCC" we have several compilers
>> > compatible with GCC and MSVC (maybe Intel, Clang, Freescale? etc.).
> In case of gcc inline assembler is used, which is also supported by
> Intel but not clang. On Windows compiler intrinsics or WinAPI are
> used. I believe Intel supports MSVC intrinsics on Windows. I'm not
> sure what solution is suitable for clang as I don't know if it
> supports any intrinsics and apparently it won't support inline
> assembler any time soon.

it might be possible to get support for more platforms by supporting
gcc(>=4.4)-style __sync builtins (iirc they are also supported by clang
and intel) ... though clang seems to have an own set of atomic builtins
(__c11_atomic_XXX)

i'd very much appreciate if some platform experts would add support for
their favorite platforms ...

tim