Subject: Re: [boost] [variant] Basic rvalue and C++11 features support
From: Paul Smith (pl.smith.mail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-08 11:35:15

On Tue, Jan 8, 2013 at 1:18 PM, Joel de Guzman <djowel_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 1/8/13 11:05 AM, Paul Smith wrote:

>>> I disagree. That state will happen only when copying rvalues which
>>> will immediately be destructed anyway. What danger do you see in
>>> that situation? Example:
>>>
>>> recursive_wrapper<foo> bar() {...} // function returning
>>> recursive_wrapper
>>>
>>> recursive_wrapper<foo> foo(bar()); // copy
>>>
>>> Under no circumstances will anyone get to see that "empty" state.
>>> Do you see something that I don't?
>>>
>>> Without this move optimization (as it currently is), it is very
>>> inefficient
>>> especially with big structures (e.g. tuples and fusion adapted structs).
>>> Without this optimization, such temporary copies will end up with two
>>> heap allocations and unnecessary copying of the structures, instead of
>>> one heap allocation and a simple pointer swap. That would mean the missed
>>> optimization in the order of magnitudes with applications that use
>>> variant
>>> heavily (e.g. Spirit).
>>

>> I hear ya. However, the C++11 take on move semantics is, for better
>> and for worse, a conservative one and not a destructive one. It's a
>> common misconception that a moved-from object is "as good as dead" and
>> that the move constructor can perform an autopsy. (It took me a while
>> to realize that, too).
>>
>> A move constructor has merely a "license to mutate" the source object
>> while keeping it's invariants, not a "license to kill". This is, I
>> believe, the intended convention. This is more or less what the STL
>> expect from client types. And, even though it's not enforced by the
>> core language, the effective semantics of rvalues and
>> rvalue-references are such that a destructive move is unsafe. In
>> particular, subobjects of rvalues are rvalues of the same value
>> category, and can equally well bind to rv-refs. Even if a top-level
>> rvalue is immediately destroyed after one of its subojects has been
>> moved-from, its destructor might still attempt to use that subobject.
>> If a type gives me public access to one of it's subobjects, it means
>> that I'm allowed to mutate it using it's public interface any way I
>> want, but nothing more. If the subobject's move consutrctor (which I
>> can rightfully invoke) does something that's impossible to acheive
>> using the public interface, I'm breaking this contract, and even if I
>> no longer use the containing object, I might get punished when it's
>> destructor takes place:
>>
>> class base {
>> void something_naughty(); // don't attempt to use the
>> // object after calling me
>> public:
>> base();
>> base(base&& other) {other.something_naughty();}
>>
>> void something_ordinary();
>> };
>>
>> struct derived : base {
>> ~derived() {something_ordinary();}
>> };
>>
>> int main() {
>> base b = derived(); // I'm only using the public interface
> [...]

Not sure about being overly pedantic. I think I'm being appropriately
paranoid :)
This paper is indeed a bit old, but for the most part it's not
outdated. AFAIK the general concept of move semantics hasn't been
significantly changed since then, the only changes that underwent
concerned the actual core language technicalities (i.e. what rv-refs
can and can't bind to, implicitly declared move-ctors, etc'...)
It's a little hard to quote the standard here, simply because it
doesn't actually define the term "move semantics" - only the semantics
of the related core language facilities. As I said, I believe these
semantics imply a conservative move.
As for the library, see 17.6.3.1 [utility.arg.requirements] tables 20
[moveconstructible] and 22 [moveassignable].

The semantics of rvalues have similar effects on any kind of suboject:

struct X {
  // the user is allowed to modify this member
  recursive_wrapper<T> rw; // might as well be a
                                             // recursive variant, I'm
                                             // just being lazy.

  X(): rw(...) {}

  ~X() {
    if(predicate(rw.get()))
      do_something();
    else
      do_something_else();
  }
};

int main() {
  recursive_wrapper<T> rw = X().rw; // oops
}

At the end of the day move semantics are mostly a convention. If we
agree on a conservative move, then it's legitimate for the programmer
to expect that moved-from objects remain valid. Period. And if we
don't, well... then we have a problem.

You don't have to convince me that in most cases a destructive move is
fine, and you don't have to convince me that in cases like this one
it's also desirable. I just think that the correct way to tackle this
is by extending the lanuage to naturally allow it and not by abusing
the current facilities.

--
Paul Smith