Subject: Re: [boost] Flow-based programming library for Boost?
From: Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr. (jeffrey.hellrung_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-01-12 21:12:29

On Fri, Jan 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM, Vicente J. Botet Escriba <
vicente.botet_at_[hidden]> wrote:
[...]

> I was just trying to see if the dynamic is a "must have" or a "nice to
> have". From your answer I would say it is not a must have feature, and
> typing the signals will give some type safety that a lot of us like.

I think for a general-use flow-based programming library in particular, you
*must* have the option to statically type-check your inputs and outputs,
just because the actual wiring of the inputs and outputs is so indirect and
remote. There doesn't seem to be any loss in building the dynamic typing on
top of the static typing, and then it gives you a framework to parameterize
the behavior of (dynamic) type mismatches (ignore, throw exception, abort,
etc.).

- Jeff