Subject: Re: [boost] [variant] Please vote for behavior
From: Paul Smith (pl.smith.mail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-01 10:20:38

On Fri, Feb 1, 2013 at 4:57 PM, Dave Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Thu Jan 31 2013, Paul Smith <pl.smith.mail-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I was disavowing this part because I don't claim to know it for sure:

>>> and I was disavowing this part because I disagree with it:

>>> See above.
>>
>> Actually, that's not really what I asked. Joel asked you if
>> destructibility and assignability is all the standard library needs
>> from moved-from objects. You responded: "That's all the standard
>> library will use."
>
> Yes.
>
>> Now you seem to say the opposite.
>
> Where?
>
>> I think this was a source of confusion :-)
>
> I can imagine it would be.

Okay, I'm truely confused about what you're saying then.

Either the standard library requires moved-from user-types to keep
meeting all their requirements, or it only requires them to remain
destructible and assignable. The standard says the former. The wording
that appears in the standard is the same (or almost the same) wording
as the resolution of N3264, which is what you say you fought for.

The only other way I can interpret "That's (destructibility and
assignability) all that srandard library will use" is "that's all it
will use in practice", but you say you disavow that.

So, please, could you rephrase this sentence in a more elaborate way?

--
Paul Smith