Subject: Re: [boost] [GSOC] Are we going to participate?
From: David Bellot (david.bellot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-02-18 10:58:25

Hi,

I would like too to propose another GSOC project, regarding the improvement
of Boost::uBLAS.
We have an old page with the list of future new features here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ublas/index.php?title=Main_Page

Basically, anything from this page is itself a GSOC project but in fact, at
least 2 are more important that the rest and have to be done in that order:

- unify representation of vector and matrices into a unique matrix class.
After all, vectors are 1-row or 1-column matrices. This has 2 advantages:
better representation of the the underlying math concept and laying the
ground for future extensions.
For code compatibility purpose, the vector<> will still exist. It will be
extended so that one can choose if it's a row or column vector. One
consequence of that, will be the implementation of the * operator for
matrices and vectors.
Fixed size vectors and matrices could be another consequence of this new ar
chitecture.

Ideally, I want to write code like this in C++11
vector<double, row, 4> v1=randn(1,4);
vector<double, column, 4> v2=randn(4,1);
auto v3 = v1*v2;

- basic architecture for parallel code, vectorized code, GPU code,
multi-core, you name it.

Inspiration from other libraries like Eigen, Armadillo, GotoBLAS, etc... is
highly recommended (after all, that's one of the raison d'etre of Free S
oftware)

Then if time permits, the GSOC student could start doing some SSE or
multi-core code to prove the concept of the architecture.

So basically, the GSOC project is to shuffle Boost::uBLAS architecture a
little bit to make it more modern and way faster.

Best,
David