Subject: Re: [boost] [tweener] Preliminary Submission
From: Julien Jorge (julien.jorge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-04 12:49:13

Le Mon, 4 Mar 2013 09:27:05 -0800,
"Jeffrey Lee Hellrung, Jr." <jeffrey.hellrung_at_[hidden]> a écrit :

> On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 1:28 AM, Michael Marcin
> <mike.marcin_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
> > Julien Jorge wrote:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I would like to propose the Boost.Tweener library for preliminary
> >> submission.
> >>
> >> The purpose of the Boost.Tweener library is to provide solutions to
> >> interpolate the intermediate values between two given values
> >> during a time interval. Various easing functions can be applied to
> >> control the computation of the intermediate values. I felt the
> >> need of such a library while developing games but I have also seen
> >> this need in various animation softwares.
> >>
> > [...]
>
> > I would prefer Boost.Tween to Boost.Tweener.
> >
> [...]
>
> I haven't looked at the library, but just want to comment on the
> name. Is "tween" some kind of standard term? Because I'm only
> familiar with it in the context of the first wikipedia result when
> searching for "tween" or "tweener", and I don't see anything
> regarding interpolation save for "inbetweening" (standard animation
> term). Something like Boost.Interpolation might better convey the
> library's intent, I think.
>
> - Jeff

I think that Boost.Interpolation would be too generic and misleading
because the library's interface is more about animating than general
interpolation. For example, I think that someone searching to
interpolate the colors of the pixels of a scaled image would not find
the library really useful.

Has you have noticed, "inbetweening" is the right term in animation.
In most libraries I have seen, the term "tweener" is used to name an
object that computes the intermediate values during the movement and
the verb "to tween" is used to describe the fact that an interpolation
is done. I am not sure that there is a standard for the tween/tweener
terms.

Regards,

Julien