Subject: Re: [boost] [compute] GPGPU Library - Request For Feedback
From: Kyle Lutz (kyle.r.lutz_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-04 21:25:09

On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 6:39 PM, Hartmut Kaiser <hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Also, do you have asynchronous versions for all algorithms?

As of now only copy_async() is implemented (as it is the most
important for achieving good performance by overlapping memory
transfers with computation). However, I am not sure if this is the
best interface to be extended to all the other algorithms.

I've been thinking about moving towards an asynchronous execution
function like std::async() which would be passed the algorithm
function along with its arguments. However, I've encountered problems
with overloading and having to explicitly specify the argument
template types. This is one point where I'd like to get some
feedback/ideas from the community. I would also like to have a
<algorithm>_async_after() version which would take the algorithms
parameters along with a list of futures/events to wait for before
beginning execution. My dilemma is that extending these different
versions would increase the size of the API by a factor of three.

Any feedback/ideas/comments would be very helpful.

-kyle