Subject: Re: [boost] [compute] GPGPU Library - Request For Feedback
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-06 10:51:28

> > That's excellent (sorry I have not seen this in the docs before).
> > However I think it's not a good idea to create your own futures. This
> > does not scale well nor does it compose with std::future or
> > boost::future. Is there a way to use whatever futures (or more
> > specifically, threading implementation) the user decides to use?
>
> The boost::compute::future class wraps a cl_event object which is used to
> monitor the progress of a compute kernel. I'm not sure how to achieve this
> with std::future or boost.thread's future (or even which to chose for the
> API). Any pointers (or example code) would be greatly appreciated.

Yes, that's exactly the problem. It is nothing specific to your particular
library but a general issue to solve. In the library we develop (HPX,
https://github.com/STEllAR-GROUP/hpx/) we face the same issue of having to
rely on our own synchronization primitives which makes it impossible to
reuse std::future (or boost::future). Any suggestion on how to create
specialization/customization points allowing to make boost::future
universally applicable would be most appreciated.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu