Subject: Re: [boost] [Filesystem] v3 path separator changes
From: Alexander Lamaison (awl03_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-03-25 08:32:27

Yakov Galka <ybungalobill_at_[hidden]> writes:

> On Sun, Mar 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM, Alexander Lamaison <awl03_at_[hidden]>wrote:
>
>> Yakov Galka <ybungalobill_at_[hidden]> writes:
>> [...]
>> >
>> > It seems that the designer of the library does not like the idea that
>> path
>> > be a higher level platform independent abstraction of paths. As I'd say
>> > many times I see little use in the current path class, and I personally
>> use
>> > UTF-8 std::strings everywhere with suitably defined operations. What
>> annoys
>> > me is that Boost.filesystem has a fairly good multiplatform
>> implementation
>> > of filesystem operative functions, but which depends on this dumb path
>> > class.
>>
>> I wouldn't write off the path class entirely. It was what first got me
>> in to Boost all those years ago! But it could be better and some of the
>> recent changes don't make sense to me.
>>

> I admit that a path class is a matter of preference. But this is why it is
> unfair that exists(const path &x) uses a path in its interface towards
> those who do not like using this class.

You realise Boost.Filesystem actually works the way you describe? :-P
Nothing forces you to use class path to benefit from the operation
functions. Try this for example:

assert(boost::filesystem::exists("c:\\"));

Works as you expect.

Alex

--
Swish - Easy SFTP for Windows Explorer (http://www.swish-sftp.org)