Subject: Re: [boost] Specific-Width Floating-Point Typedefs
From: Jan Hudec (bulb_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-03 17:26:37

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 13:58:21 +0100, Bjorn Reese wrote:
> On 2013-03-28 13:28, Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> >There has recently been some discussion on improving portability of programs using floating-point.
>
> A common use case for fixed-length floats that you do not mention
> explicitly in your document is the exchange of floats over binary
> network protocols

That adds requirement that they be IEEE 754 formats though. While I don't
know platform using any other format these days, I don't think C++ requires
that just as it does not require two's complement for signed integers.

So there would have to be one set of typedefs for just size/precision and
another for the IEEE 754 standard formats.

--
						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb_at_[hidden]>