Subject: Re: [boost] Boost.Log: Any Comments? (Was: [log] Permission to merge to trunk)
From: Rob Stewart (robertstewart_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-04 14:20:50

On Apr 1, 2013, at 1:23 PM, Andrey Semashev <andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> On Monday 01 April 2013 17:04:40 Paul A. Bristow wrote:
>>

>> Using push'n'pop around troublesome sections usually works, and isn't too tedious to implement.
>
> That's what I do currently, if it is possible to do so with blanket #pragmas.
[snip]
> Also, I want to point out that simply turning warnings off globally in Boost.Log kind of defeats the purpose for turning these warnings on in the first place.

Using push and pop means you're not disabling the warnings globally.

>> Since there are shops that require use of higher warnings levels, or even warnings as errors, (despite what you might think about their decisions)
>> you may make your reportedly excellent and very widely applicable log library unusable for them. This would be a pity?
>
> Sure it would. However, this would be the result of counterproductive management decisions and not of particular flaws of Boost.Log, IMHO. One
> should fix the root of the problem.

That totally misses the point. Management decisions are often very difficult to alter. Those with such requirements would be unable to use your library, limiting its appeal, if you give up too easily due to that attitude.

___
Rob