Subject: Re: [boost] Windows Binary Builds
From: Tom Kent (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-16 09:18:14

On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 2:14 AM, Antony Polukhin <antoshkka_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> I was just thinking about the following features:
> * It would be great to integrate such functionality into b2. So that
> any user and distro builder can make its own installers for OS by
> running command ./b2 installers

That would be great, but this doesn't even start to open that can of worms.
We'd have to build a new installer generator instead of just using one off
the shelf.

> * Some Linux distros split Boost libraries into smaller parts:
> libboost-dev (headers, static and debug libraries), libboost-doc,
> libboost-thread (runtime library), libboost-* (some other runtime
> libraries), boost-all.

If windows had any kind of package management system, I'd be all for this.
As it is, I worry that just breaking them out by architecture is too many
packages and will confuse people.

> * We may provide .torrent files (or magnet links) right on the
> boost.org website in Download section (like some Linux distros do) if
> sourceforge can not store so many binary data

I don't think this would be necessary, the installers are only 150-200MB
for each of those eight. I know that in the past the zipped binaries have
been on sourceforge on a per-library basis, so the sum total of those would
be much bigger than these installers (which use lzma2 compression). I'm not
sure who holds the keys to the sourceforge files, maybe they could comment
on this?

Tom