Subject: Re: [boost] media > audio project (gsoc or future boost)
From: Brendon Costa (brendon.j.costa_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-21 21:37:21

One thing I think you should certainly check into with using boost::asio,
(I don't know a lot about boost::asio except its usage), is the realtime
nature of the audio threads and whether that can be guaranteed with asio.

Quite often the audio callbacks fired from the various audio subsystems are
not "user" threads and have certain restrictions on their usage such as not
permitting memory allocations, usage of locks etc within the threads
without possible discontinuities in the audio stream. Basically the actual
code in these callbacks should be quite limited and maybe asio is not
suitable for dispatching these.

For example see: http://portaudio.com/docs/v19-doxydocs/api_overview.html (The
Callback I/O Method)

You can relax these restrictions by introducing extra buffering (and
latency), but for many applications increasing latency is not preferable or
even acceptable.

What is the scope of this idea? Are you planning just to wrap existing
cross platform API's previously mentioned? What sorts of features would you
provide?