Subject: Re: [boost] [log] Patch: rotating file collector
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-04-23 08:18:44

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM, Alexander Arhipenko <arhipjan_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> I've added implementation of rotating file collector -
> the patch against boost log trunk attached.
> This is not the final version, I'm going at least to finish most of the
> TODOs.
>
> However, it would be nice to receive feedback and questions from
> library author as well as from people interested in this feature.
>
> Andrey, could you please find several minutes to review the attached patch?

Thanks for the patch. I didn't look deeply into it yet but from the first
glance it looks like you changed the existing file collector rather than
introduce an alternative one. Am I right? If so, could this be made as a
pure addition rather than modification? I would prefer to keep the current
behavior also available for the users.

Also, I would like to discuss following question with you :
> rotate_file invocation in ~text_file_backend -
> I would prefer to have this call during text_file_backend construction
> phase.

I'll have to take a closer look later to answer that but it seems odd to
have to rotate something when nothing have been written yet. The
rotate_file call is intended to place the written file to the storage
governed by the collector, and at construction this file hasn't been
created yet. Could you describe why you need this?