Subject: Re: [boost] Is there any interest in a library for actor programming?
From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-05 09:48:05

> On 5/17/2013 5:26 PM, Charousset, Dominik wrote:
> > is there any interest in a library for actor programming?
> I'm quite interested in this.
> >
> > The library we've developed is a C++11 open source library named
> "libcppa". It is currently released under LGPL2, but re-releasing the
> library under the boost license is not an issue. You'll find all important
> links and ressources either under http://libcppa.org or on the GitHub
> project page: https://github.com/Neverlord/libcppa, including a user
> manual as HTML or PDF. We've also submitted a paper to the C++Now
> conference.
>
> I agree that embracing C++11 is great, but would also be curious if a
> significant amount of functionality could also work with earlier
> versions/compilers by using the boost equivalents. This is perhaps a bit
> selfish of me because I work in multi-agent simulation, and our current
> code base is locked in msvc-9.0.

Just to reiterate, HPX (https://github.com/STEllAR-GROUP/hpx/) is a very
similar library exposing actor oriented paradigms to the programmer (amongst
other things), just wrapped up into a C++11 compliant interface (future,
async, thread, bind, function, tuple, etc.). It's usable with C++03
compliant compilers (I have not tried msvc-9.0, though). While not part of
Boost, it strongly adheres to Boost coding guidelines and style and it is
maintained by long standing Boost authors.

Regards Hartmut
http://boost-spirit.com
http://stellar.cct.lsu.edu