Subject: Re: [boost] [c++11]
From: Lars Viklund (zao_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-17 16:26:58

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 09:51:53PM +0400, Sergey Cheban wrote:
> On 17.06.2013 21:05, Lars Viklund wrote:
>> Specifying this a bit closer:
>> VS2012 RTM can't.
>> VS2012 Update 1 can.
>> VS2012 Update 2 can build ones that break if ATL is used, so not really.
>> VS2012 Update 3 RC2 can.
>>
>> Not that this helps overly much, as Boost doesn't support toolset
>> selection and you have to manually override %CL%, %INCLUDE%, %LIB% and
>> more.
> Currently, you don't need to override anything to build the Boost
> libraries that can be used with the v110_xp toolset.

I'm suspicious over this statement. I can't see how libraries with a
minimum subsystem of 6.0 could ever have a chance of loading on an XP
box, unless the XP loader is insane enough to ignore such fundamental
restrictions. Part of the instructions [1] to implement v110_xp-like
targetting on the command line explicitly instructs to set the subsystem
to 5.01/5.02 and to use a specific flavor of WSDK 7.1.

If binaries built with v110 would work as-is, why bother with v110_xp's
distinct SDK and build settings?

I guess there might be enough luck involved by none of Boost using any
of the explodey parts of the WSDK, like ATL and the other mines, but it
still feels rather empirical.

[1] http://blogs.msdn.com/b/vcblog/archive/2012/10/08/10357555.aspx

--
Lars Viklund | zao_at_[hidden]