Subject: Re: [boost] Any interest in bitstream class?
From: Brian Wood (woodbrian77_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-06-29 16:54:27

From: Rob Stewart
> On Jun 28, 2013, at 6:50 PM, Paul Long <plong_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>
>> Correct, but it is important to note that integrals are always encoded
big endian in the bitstream. I >>suppose it's possible that someone would
want some other endian, but that's got to be an obscure use >>case.

> There are plenty of little endian only contexts that would want to avoid
the host->network->host
> conversions for all transfers.

The C++ Middleware Writer uses a "receiver makes right" approach to
support that.
There's a SameFormat class here:
http://webEbenezer.net/misc/Formatting.hh

that's used when both sides have the same endian-ness.

--
Brian
Ebenezer Enterprises - Was Eisenhower the last decent US President?