Subject: Re: [boost] Patch bonanza for VS2013 Preview support
From: Eric Niebler (eniebler_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-05 13:37:52

On 13-07-05 07:42 AM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> My code, on the other hand, I don't trust and I assume it to be riddled with
> severe bugs which I'm too incompetent to perceive. This isn't a humility
> thing, it's an empirical thing: I have had showstopping bugs found in my
> open source *four* *years* after that code went stable and was being used in
> anger by banks, hedge funds, the US DoD for military simulations, automotive
> and avionics. And I had worked on that code for four years thereafter, and
> never saw nor found those problems not once in that time period.
>
> To which the only natural conclusion must be that I was, and am, too
> incompetent to find these things on my own. Hence my hesitancy to cast
> aspersions on others. Once the code base is stable and fully ported to
> Boost, then I'm happy to start work on a clean ThreadSanitiser during which
> I'll no doubt discover and fix a ton of problems in my code. Only then will
> I feel comfortable in blaming others for problems I have found.

So you're afraid to file a bug report only to be told the bug is in your
code or in your understanding? This happens to me ALL THE TIME. I
regularly get schooled by Richard Smith, who closes about half my clang
bugs as "by design". Doesn't stop me. Better to make an erroneous report
than to sit on it.

I seem to be unable to change your opinion, so I'll stop now. <shrug>
But it should be telling that even a representative of a compiler vector
(Stephan) is begging you to file the bug.

--
Eric Niebler
Boost.org