Subject: Re: [boost] Patch bonanza for VS2013 Preview support
From: Stephan T. Lavavej (stl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2013-07-23 13:33:34

[Niall Douglas]
> Agreed, VS2013 Preview's new C++11 features are looking solid.

Yay!

> Apart from
> http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/794707/sfinae-fai
> lure-during-variadic-template-overload-resolution which is a showstopper for
> us that is.

That's actually a library issue, not a compiler issue. You're expecting C++14's SFINAE-friendly result_of, but you're getting C++11's SFINAE-hostile result_of. (That's in addition to the fact that our result_of/<functional> implementation has numerous bugs with respect to C++11.)

Unfortunately, I won't be able to fix this in 2013 RTM. result_of needs to be thoroughly overhauled, but I'm not allowed to make such a major change at this point. I should be able to do this for the next major version, though.

As an aside, why is Boost using std::result_of anyways? You've got Eric Niebler and his SFINAE-friendly boost::result_of, you know. :->

STL